Change service owner - rights?

Lyonel

Hi,

One of our service desk manager wanted to change some service owners this morning but could not find the button on the screen so contacted me. I had a look and I have to admit I am puzzled here...

This is what she sees:

view-service-desk-mgt.thumb.jpg.890483c61ee214ea4b108c27b19805fe.jpg

Yet here is the setup she has:

roles.png.b8aeabfd89af42387c1b5d7de81ccf29.png

I just had another look into the Wiki and found this:

Service Desk Manager

[Show Less
Collaboration Role
Service Desk Admin
Services Manager
Dashboard Viewer

The Service Desk Manager will be able to log new and update calls for all call classes as well as the ability to cancel calls or re-open closed calls. In addition the Service Desk Manager can create new Services or edit existing Services. If you have purchased the Hornbill Performance Analytics package you can view great looking Dashboards or Slideshows for detailed performance information.

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/What_Service_Manager_Roles_exist%3F

She has all the relevant rights, yet she cannot see the button to edit?! Am I missing something?

PS: I made sure all the cache was refreshed, tested on both IE and Chrome...

Hi @Lyonel

There is some additional information on the wiki - Services page relating to the use of the Owner field on services, and the controls around this:

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Details

Scroll down to the Owner section, this should explain the behaviour. 

In essence, if an owner is assigned to a Service, it is only the owner who can can change ownership to another Services Manager User.  In the event that you need to change the owner (say they have left the business), then if a user have a role which gives them access to Service Manager, as well as the Services Manager Role, and they have the Admin Role, then they will be able to change the owner - but this is really designed as a last option, should the owner not be available to transfer ownership of their service.

I hope that makes sense.

Steve 

@Steven Boardman thanks for the clarification. It makes sense from a technical standpoint, but I think in real life it does not work... Indeed, in most cases you will need to replace a service owner after that person left your organisation which forces the admin to do it, rather than the service desk manager. Or maybe my company is just weird :blink:

Hi @Lyonel

We will look to update the role to Service Desk Admin, rather than Admin which has the rights along with the owner of a Service, to change the owner of a Service.  Once this is implemented and available i will update the post. 

Hopefully this will make it easier operationally to manage the owners of services. 

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Lyonel

No progress as yet i'm afraid.   This is not because it is not a good idea, it just needs to be prioritised alongside everything else, and as you can imagine we have lots of great ideas to work through. 

As soon as it gets to the top, i will post back and keep you informed of it's progress. 

FYI this is not a big change, and as such we have a 'pot' of smaller quick wins which we work through, in and around the larger changes.  It is just currently sat behind a few others.

Steve

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Guest Ehsan

Hi @Lyonel,

Hope you're well ^_^

We've completed the development of this enhancement. This is currently in review and will be considered for a Service Manager update over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Ehsan