Email notification when a call is logged

lee mcdermott

Hi,

This is probably a really simple answer but I'm not 100% sure on how this should be configured.

So when a call is logged either by an analyst or user via self service portal I want it to email the user affected with the call details etc.

I thought this was working but it appears it is not.

Should this email notification process be configured in the Business Process? or does the system by default email for each call logged?

I noticed the below(attached screen shot) in a different post - we do not have this setup or configured anymore - it was deleted when we configured our mail route via our domain. 

Does this mail route need to be configured again?

thanks

lee

mail routes.PNG

Hi Lee,
 thanks for your post.

Sending an email communication to the customer when a call is logged by the service desk is done via a BPM automated operation (the blue nodes). We will have configured an "Email Customer" node in the baseline process that we created during the Switch On.

I would check the following things:

1) Has a Business Process been initiated against the request (i.e. do you get the green progress bar at the top of the request)?
2) Does an automated operation still exist (to send an email) in the BPM Workflow that is being used against the request? (check the BPM design).
3) If an email operation node exists, what Shared mailbox is it using to send the email? (i.e. whats in the "Mailbox" field in the node options - does this mailbox exist)
4) If a mailbox is set in the node, take a look at the Shared mailbox (System > Email > Shared Mailboxes) click on the mailbox and review the "Addresses" tab. The Default address specified in this tab is what makes the link between the Shared Mailbox and the outbound route. If the default address is wrong or missing, then the Shared mailbox wont know how to send mail.

The clue here is in the creation of an address in this particular tab. When you click the "Add new address" button, the portion after the @ symbol is populated via a drop down box. This drop down box is populated with a list of Outbound routes. This tab therefore, isn't just specifying a reply address, it is also actually making the link to the outbound route configured in Hornbill.

Let me know what you find and if my explanation makes sense!

Best Regards,

Dan

thanks Daniel,

thats great. I have just checked and don't have any email customer nodes in my BP's. I have checked the example bp's and can see what is required.

I just could not remember if it needed configured in a BP, or for call logging and closure it was done by default at the system level.

I think all my BP's were created from one of my original ones which didn't have the email customer node in because at the time we didn't have the email part fully configured so was getting an error when logging test calls.

(it's all coming back to me now)

I should be able to set this up now and test.

Out of interest why is the below configured as live.hornbill.com and not northumberland.gov.uk?

thanks

lee

email config.PNG

Guest Ehsan

Hi @lee mcdermott,

To achieve the intended requirement here (i.e. the ability to send an email to a Customer), you can ignore the value of this Application Setting (i.e. guest.app.requests.notification.emailDomain).

In regards to the reason for "live.hornbill.com" as the default value of this Application Setting - We provide this by default inline with a Domain (or referred to as Outbound Mail Routing in the Administration Tool) for sending direct emails, without using an Email Template. For example, you can configure an option to notify the Owner of a request, if the request is updated by it's Customer through the Portal. The Owner of the request may not be assigned the appropriate Mailbox rights. Under such circumstance, we use a default Domain to send an email notification to the Owner of the request.

This is configurable, so you have the flexibility to update the value of this Application Setting to "northumberland.gov.uk" but prior to doing so, please make sure that you have a Domain called "northumberland.gov.uk". If not already, this can be configured through the Administration Tool > System > Email > Outbound Mail Routing.

Thanks,

Ehsan

Guest Ehsan

Hi @lee mcdermott,

Apologies for the late reply, I was away for a few days.

Yes, that is correct. Although, through the Administration Tool, a Domain needs to be set up. Please refer to my screenshot, where I have a Domain configured for "live.hornbill.com". In your case, you'll need a Domain configured for "northumberland.gov.uk". Could you please confirm if this is already configured?

Thanks,

Ehsan

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 09.22.30.png

Hi Lee,

I've a feeling that I may have implied during our Switch on, that once we'd configured your new outbound route that we could dispense with the "live.hornbill.com" route altogether, when in reality this is only true on the condition that additional configuration is performed.

If you want to set guest.app.requests.notification.emailDomain to use your Domain when sending out these Application-generated notifications, an SPF/TXT record must be configured on your DNS Server. This is detailed on the following wiki page: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Outbound_Mail_Routing .
If you leave this application setting set to "live.hornbill.com" then this additional work is not required, but of course we must have an outbound route configured called "live.hornbill.com" in Hornbill Administration.

Dan