Tracking an error

I'm getting the error:

nodeName: GetTranslationStrings; nodeId: f69af10c-064e-4869-8e8f-996de39c5ed4; "EspMethodCall:invoke: Operation[session:getApplicationStrings] There are no matching string items: 'guest.component.*'"

It's not a massive Stage, but I have no idea which node is causing it, and with the SM style errors there are far less clues about where to look.

Any help isolating it so I can fix the offending node would be gratefully received.

Guest Ehsan

Thank you for reporting this. I had a look and I cannot find a reference to this in the Service Manager app. I will have a word with the development team. We will inform you as soon as we have an update.

Thanks,

Ehsan

Thanks @Ehsan

Is there anything in your plans for making the errors slightly more usable by admins?
I don't think a lot is needed, but specifically for errors generated by a BP it would be useful to have some way of narrowing it down to a specific node; I tend to find that as soon as I've done that it becomes obvious what I've done wrong. This may mean making the node ID (which I'm sure I've seen in some errors) visible within the BP rather than changing the actual error message, maybe as an onHover popup or something?

Guest Ehsan

@DeadMeatGF

Did you see this error through the EspServerService Log File in the Admin Tool? If so, then you can follow the thread (a thread is presented as TID when viewing a Log File).

I have attached an example below where "Method Call: apps:smGetRequests()" started with the thread Id 4324. When this Method Call is completed, you'll see an entry in the Log File, such as "apps:smGetRequests() Operation Invocation results: success" or "apps:smGetRequests() Operation Invocation results: failure". In the example below, another Method Call is invoked as part of  apps:smGetRequests(). In this example, the Method Call is data:queryExec. Entries later (not shown in this screenshot), you'll be able to see the SQL query that this Method Call tried to run. If there's an error in the SQL query, you can usually work out what was expected.

Anything that happens in between these two messages (i.e. "Method Call: apps:smGetRequests()" and "apps:smGetRequests() Operation Invocation results: success") with the thread Id 4324, belongs to the same operation. Sometimes, we can track these errors by following through a thread. In the case of Business Processes, this is the best way to debug an offending operation.

In the case of the Log entry that you've posted here, I don't think this relates to a Business Process. My assumption is that this was as the result of a manual intervention by a User through the Portal.

I hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 08.21.03.png

It could, of course, be that this error happened at the same time and I got the wrong one? Although there weren't any others with a timestamp within about 30s as I recall.
The attached is the popup that I see if I go back to the offending call.

On a similar vein to the above comments, it would be useful if there were some way to either see (and be able to copy) the whole error in the popup or ensure (maybe via a link?) that we can jump to the error in the logs. As it is it seems as soon as you interact with the popup in any way it closes, and you can't jot down the error because it isn't all there, and the popup doesn't show all of the message.

Screenshot 2017-04-13 08.44.55.png

Guest Ehsan

This error indicates that the Business Process failed to create an Activity for the request. Perhaps review all "Human Tasks" and "Authorisation Nodes" to confirm that there is at least one outcome defined under the "Outcomes" section. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 09.52.40.png

Guest Ehsan

Regarding the error relating to "GetTranslationStrings", we have identified the root cause. We will update you as soon as we have a fix available.