Improve Custom Buttons functionality?

DougA

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to tie our documentation into the Service Manager console. At the moment it doesn't look as though I can use anything other than request info. As we can set custom fields in BP it would be brilliant to have them included in the fields selectable in custom buttons.

That way I can set up the BPs to set the document required into the custom field and click on the button to view the document.

Cheers

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your post. I'm interested to know if your documentation is being stored in Document Manager or if it is somewhere outside of Hornbill, like a wiki or word docs in a network share.

And just to confirm, are you asking for the custom fields on the request form to be included in the list of available variables when creating or editing a Custom Button.

Regards,

James

Hi @James Ainsworth,

At the moment all of the documents are in a network share but we can either put them into SharePoint or Document Manager.

My thought process is to be able to allow the analysts to open the procedure document from the request as easily as possible. That way they've got no excuse for not following procedures :D 

The key to opening up this functionality is to have a few more variables including the custom fields available when setting up a custom button. At the moment all of the variables are used and can't be repurposed. Originally I was thinking of setting a custom field with the document details from within the BP. Alternatively the folder (or library) could be the same as the Service Name and the document the same as the Config Item.

Hope that makes sense!

Doug

Thanks for your reply.  The reason I asked about where you store you documents is that we do have some planned work to provide a component within a request to link to documents in Document Manager.  We were also considering being able to provide URLs to Sharepoint documents.  I just wanted to get an idea of this would work better for you than using the custom buttons.

Regards,

James

Morning @James Ainsworth,

Being able to link to documents in the document manager or SharePoint would be terrific. Originally  I thought we might have different custom buttons for different document types. but I could just as easily combine all of them into one.

Thanks

Doug

• 8 months later...

Off-topic... sorry...
@James Ainsworth - From your screenshot - is that a new Hornbill theme? or are you simply using different browser? Whatever it is looks good on the eyes...

On-topic-ish
The document plugin has been really good so far, however when searching it only seems to work if I search the document name by including the first word in the title. Is there any plans for fuzzy matching or wildcard searches? (I may have missed the ability to do wildcard searches in here)