FAQ searching for more than one word

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

Is there a way of setting the search on the FAQ's on the Portal to search so that it searches for multiple words without needing to enter wildcards? At the moment it seems that if more than one word is entered, then both words need to be in the document next to each other and in that order for it to be picked up.

So, for instance, if I entered 'holiday approval' in to the search bar, I'd like it to return FAQ's with 'holiday' AND 'approval' somewhere in the document, not necessarily next to each other.

thanks

Guest Mohamed

Hi @Paul Alexander

Thanks for your feedback on this. After understanding your problem I am able to see where you're coming from
I've raised this as a topic internally to see what can be done about it

Regards

Mohamed

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 2:05 PM, Mohamed said:

Hi @Paul Alexander

Thanks for your feedback on this. After understanding your problem I am able to see where you're coming from
I've raised this as a topic internally to see what can be done about it

Regards

Mohamed

Hi Mohamed, are there any updates on improvements to the search feature on the portal? 

thanks

Darren

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi @Steven Boardman

as mentioned this morning, this is post we made regarding searching on Hornbill Service Portal. Being able to use more than one word in the search, without them having to be next to each other would be hugely beneficial. We're having a big push on FAQ's atm, and the only negative feedback we've had is that people cannot find the right FAQ, even though the one they need is published

thanks

Darren 

Hi @Darren Rose @samwoo

Just a quick update on this, we are currently working on a knowledge story to introduce dynamic knowledge in progressive capture - so basically as your analysts and customers are filling int their progressive capture forms, they will (non intrusively) be presented with relevant knowledge (in the form of FAQ's, requests, known issues etc).  As part of this story we have improved the search query, and also applied this to the general search query used in the portals.

So once the knowledge story is released, your users will get two things:

1. Dynamic knowledge during the progressive capture logging process (hopefully cutting down further on the amount of tickets which need to be raised)

2. Multi word search matching, irrespective of order or position in documents, so using the original example a search for Holiday Approval would look for matches on Holiday Approval, Holiday or Approval and return matches against all of these.  

Sneak preview of the NEW progressive capture search below, obviously the look and feel is subject to change before release:

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 09.07.43.png

This work is currently ongoing but watch out for the release notes in the Service Manager updates in the coming weeks 

Steve

• Like 4

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Steven Boardman

As usual this is going to be a huge benefit for our users...so thanks for listening and acting!

I DO have one more request which people may or may not see as an 'enhancement' on the searching, and that is can we have search hits on 'partial' words please?

For instance, after our chat yesterday about Collaboration within the teams as a knowledge-sharing platform, I'm trying to show people how easy it is to search for mentions in the workspaces as a way of asking questions and finding out how other people in the teams go about doing things. The first search I tried was for the word 'attachment'....which came up with one hit which is fine. However, I then did a search for 'attachmentS' and a completely different document came back as a hit. Would it be possible to default to partial-word searching so that ALL hits are returned please? (I do understand that adding a wildcard to the end of the word will bring back the desired results, but I'd rather not have to do this if possible...)

Hope that all makes sense...

thanks

On 9/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, Steven Boardman said:

Hi @Darren Rose @samwoo

Just a quick update on this, we are currently working on a knowledge story to introduce dynamic knowledge in progressive capture - so basically as your analysts and customers are filling int their progressive capture forms, they will (non intrusively) be presented with relevant knowledge (in the form of FAQ's, requests, known issues etc).  As part of this story we have improved the search query, and also applied this to the general search query used in the portals.

1. Dynamic knowledge during the progressive capture logging process (hopefully cutting down further on the amount of tickets which need to be raised)

2. Multi word search matching, irrespective of order or position in documents, so using the original example a search for Holiday Approval would look for matches on Holiday Approval, Holiday or Approval and return matches against all of these.  

Sneak preview of the NEW progressive capture search below, obviously the look and feel is subject to change before release:

This work is currently ongoing but watch out for the release notes in the Service Manager updates in the coming weeks 

Steve

@Steven Boardman looks great. I like that it will also show up known issues as well. Another very useful feature to have. 

Thanks

Darren 

@Paul Alexander thanks for the feedback on the partial search matches, it is something we are looking into and i'll post back here with updates. 

As you say in the meantime the wildcard option will get the results but i appreciate with the desire to push collaboration in the teams you / we want to make this as intuitive and easy as possible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, Steven Boardman said:

Hi @Darren Rose @samwoo

Steve

Hi @Steven Boardman

Are there any updates on the development of Dynamic knowledge? 

Thanks

Darren 

HI @Darren Rose

It's close, we are still working on some final issues and UI, but here's a little update on how this is evolving from the first post

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 19.50.31.png

The above possible knowledge is presented as you go through progressive capture forms, and the matches dynamically narrow as as you provide more info. users can click and view  the knowledge and move between knowledge results  (FAQ's / Known Issues etc) 

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 19.59.16.png

We still have a few final bits to iron out and get through internal testing but it is not far away. 

* As per above this is evolving all the time so this is not the finished article but hopefully a good indication of our direction

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks @Steven Boardman that looks very promising indeed. 

As soon as it's ready, we've some excellent scenarios where it will definitely win us some points with the business. We've got the buy in from another team to start using Service Manager to manage their own service, and FAQ's and End User knowledge at point of logging a call are going to big factor in how successful it is. 

Thanks

Darren 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @Steven Boardman,

Thank you for the update :) As with any new major feature, spending more time on it is better than rushing a release so we are very much looking forward to it when it is.

Many thanks  - have a good day,

Samuel

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Paul Alexander A little update on this post, in the latest Service Manager build pushed this week,  the global search on the service and customer portals have been enhanced to support the use of the OR search operator.  This returns results based on multiple words. 

In the example below i am searching on Mobiles Home Desktop, this is finding OR matches on known issues, multiple FAQ's where they contain at least one of the search terms and the three Services which each contain at least one matching search term

image.png

Coming back to the original question in this thread, if a user searched for Holiday Approval this will now match on an FAQ where the Title was Holiday Application Approval and on a catalog item with Approval in the description 

image.png

Steve