Selection going over into next stage

m.vandun

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to have a selection via a decision being transferred to another stage. For example, I have an information gathering stage and an installation stage. When you select does this needs to be installed and the answer is 'no' then this option in the installation stage is skipped. When the answer is 'yes' the activity is created in the installation stage.

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi @m.vandun

Could you have a human task in stage one (info) and a decision after it and two task outcomes (Yes / No) for if an install is needed.

The First decision branches and uses a Next Stage Node (configured to go to the Install stage) and an Install task in the Install stage

The No decision uses a Next Stage Node (configured to go to the End Stage and bypass the Install Stage and install stage

On the next stage nodes you can choose which stage to go to (as long as it's forward)

This is not transferring a task to another stage, but if your task is pre-defined in the install stage and your logic is only go to the install stage if an install is needed, then you should get the same end result?

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 15.43.55.png

Hope that helps

Steve

Hi @Steven Boardman,

Thanks for the quick reply.

This would work in a straightforward flow. I have a bit more complicated one where the selection is part of a parallel process. The installation stage does not need to be bypassed.

If the selection could not be forwarded I could create 2 separate stages where one does have the Yes answer and one have to No answer. But this would also create 2 stages in the timeline I suspect.

595fa04f586e9_2017-07-0716_53_19-Administration_Projectplanning-Trengo(Draft).thumb.png.55ccffa8dbad49afbc13b87f69992fac.png

@m.vandun if you added another stage, it would as you say also show on the head's up display so probably not practical.

if your process is more involved (and it looks it), and you have parallel processing, would the logic still not be valid, as you could still complete all other streams within your parallel processing and then maybe evaluate the outcome of the specific  'is an install required' task outside of the parallel processing, once all other aspects of the 'info' stage are complete, and then you branch either to the install stage or another?  

Sorry if i am misunderstanding this (it is a very hot Friday afternoon)

Steve

@Steven Boardman

That would still not avoid the question in the install stage as the install stage is always needed. It could be that only a small section of the installation is not needed. Ideally I would select in the information gathering stage all the parts that needs to be done in the installation stage. If a part is not needed it would not show in the install part.

Currently they need to select "not needed" in the information stage and then again "not needed" in the installation stage. This creates tasks that are not needed for that particular installation and is a waste of time (albeit only seconds).

Mark

@m.vandun

One option is to write the outcome of the initial task 'is an installation required' task to a custom field on the request from (against the service), and then on entering the 'install' stage use a get request info node, followed by a decision node and evaluate the value in the custom field.  If the value in the custom field is 'Yes' then branch and create the Human task for installation, if 'No' then branch and do not have a human task to do the installation?  should save an unnecessary task?

You can use the Update Request node and the variable picker following the initial task

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 09.35.49.png

Steve

• Like 1