Hiding Labels from Questions Tab

Dan Munns

Hi all,

Is there a way of hiding the labels on the question tab on a request? 

We use the labels as definition descriptions mainly (as the description field doesnt allow wiki formatting) but they quickly clog up the questions view as you can see by the attached 

Thanks 

Dan

Capture.PNG

Hi Dan,

These labels were added for the purpose of displaying a label without the need for an answer.  The idea being that you could add a label that describes a group of questions that follow.   I think that having an option to hide the label might go against the purpose of the label.

In regard to the Change Type I'm thinking that you are wanting to provide a description with a change type so that the user can make a more accurate selection.  There is a Change Type node that is available in Progressive Capture.  Would it achieve the same goal if we were to look at options to include a description that can be added to the supplied Progressive Capture form for Change Type?

pcchangetype.PNG

@James Ainsworth,  @DeadMeatGF is correct in that I want to hide the labels from the questions section rather than the actual PC. The descriptions look like the attached in the PC form but finding actual answers in the questions section can be a pain and I don't want an answer to be missed meaning that a change gets incorrectly dealt with. 

It also means that there are additional pages in the questions section which may not need to be there (as I am adding a further 8 - 10 questions today there could indeed be an entire page worth of descriptions) 

Thanks

Dan

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

@Dan Munns I'm looking at the options including the hiding of a label in the questions section of a request.  You also mentioned in your original post that you don't use the descriptions as they don't support wiki markup.  The descriptions are in place to provide information to the customer in progressive capture to help them with their selections. These descriptions are not copied through to the questions section of a request.  The descriptions also don't currently support line breaks or new lines so I can see that the current format of a description would not be suitable for your requirement.   

As the descriptions were provided for the purpose of including help or text to describe the question I would like to know if this too would work as a solution for you?   We may find that both improving the descriptions and providing an option to hide a label are both valid.

Regards,

James

@James Ainsworth I think in our case being able to hide the labels from the questions would be a better option but I also think that allowing wiki markup and the ability to format the description field with line breaks etc would also be useful in some of our other PC forms.

I am sure others will agree that both options are best :)

I have to admit that for the most part the Description is perfectly adequate for me, it works for the necessary hand-holding - "Put your name here", "Put your office number here" type stuff. I've not had a reason to use formatting yet, but I can envisage situations where it would be at least a benefit, if not a requirement.

There are times when you need a more detailed instruction, which is where Labels come in, and having these appear in the Questions section is very cumbersome, so if you have to choose I'd rather have Labels that only appear in the ProCap, but as @Dan Munns says, both would be best.

Just a thought on how to toggle visibility on the questions section. Could we not have the option to show in the questions section set when you are creating the label (in the attached image) so that they are individual rather than all hidden or none. I can see where people may want to use some as section breaks (which may be of use to the analysts) and use others as we do as descriptions (which they may want to hide)

Capture.PNG

Hi Dan,

The Progressive Capture Designer and the Progressive Capture forms are not unique to Service Manager and are used by other apps.   Because of this we could not put a setting or configuration here that is specific to Service Manager.  A control to hide a particular part of the contents of the Questions Section of a request would most likely have to be added as an Application Setting to Service Manager.  I'm hoping to avoid having to do some of the configuration on this form and then having to go somewhere else to enable application settings.  Any improvement that we make here will also be an improvement for the other apps that use progressive capture which is why I'm leaning toward the Description field and starting with this.

Regards,

James

• 4 years later...

Could I please revive this topic? The solution given may have provided an answer for OP, but for me I would like to have the ability to hide each individual label from the Questions once the request is created.

Can we make a change request for this?

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2022 at 3:11 PM, MichaelB said:

Could I please revive this topic? The solution given may have provided an answer for OP, but for me I would like to have the ability to hide each individual label from the Questions once the request is created.

Can we make a change request for this?

Thanks

+1 for this