Assigning Tasks

Darren Rose

Hi

If I create a task and leave the 'Assigned to' field empty, when I save the task it automatically adds the owner of the task as the assignee and marks the status as assigned. Would it be possible for it to be created without an assignee and have the status of 'unassigned'?

thanks

Darren 

Thanks again for your post @Darren Rose.

This was something that came up in development. Unfortunately due to the way that the platform tasks work, they are always required to have an assignee. This is why the task is assigned to you if you leave it as blank when you create it. I know we are due to revisit this area again for a host of other features so I will add this point to that discussion.

Alex

Thanks, Alex. A common scenario for us is to have defined the tasks that need to be done (our backlog in effect), but we will only assign to a person to complete when we begin each sprint cycle. 

I think that's from me for today :)

thanks for the swift replies

Darren 

• Like 1

No problem. It's the same concept really in Service Manager when you are building your business processes. Many of our customers will assign a pre determined task to a role which in turn is then granted to a group of users, allowing any of them to complete it. You will see some similar logic implemented in Project Manager in the not too distant future.

Alex

• 5 months later...

Hi @TSheward_SGW, thanks for your posts.

Regarding assignment, are you wanting to assign project tasks to roles instead of project stakeholders?

When you say filter Activity views based on tasks, are you talking about the ability to categorise tasks and/or the ability to distinguish which application a task/application has come from?

Alex

Hi @alextumber

Thanks for coming back so quickly!

Either being able to assign project tasks to roles or being able to leave the assignment field blank - either would fulfill our requirements. 

Again either being able to categorise the tasks or identify which application it came from would fulfill our requirements. At the moment to give my team a "Project Tasks" activity view I have to prefix every project task with an identifier which is a bit pants :rolleyes:

Also while we're on the subject, tasks linked to requests display a link and the request ID image.png.a43768825b97850d8c2d1d6af540298e.png - project tasks do the same image.png.b006cd809df25caaf2ea31c15795443a.png but my team don't have a list of project IDs. Yes of course they can click the link to find out but it would be nice to have the information at a glance by displaying the project name instead. 

Kind regards,

Tom

image.png

• Like 1

@TSheward_SGW no problem, thanks for the feedback. It is most welcome :-)

I will pass on everything to our development and product teams. I can tell you that the ability to categorise project tasks is in active development so you should see that added very shortly, possibly in the next update. I will post back here when I have more updates to share.

Alex

• 7 months later...
22 hours ago, AlexTumber said:

Hi @TSheward_SGW .

We have a change in active development where you can create tasks without owners/assignees. I will update this thread again when there is more information on this.

Alex

Hi @AlexTumber that would be great and also help me with my other topic. When i create a project (in draft) with a template and tasks included... But also there should be a different if the project is in draft or active..

Thanks

Nikolaj

@AlexTumber yes that is right i´m the owner of, because i create the project via a template and there are tasks included. But After I create the Project i change the Project Manager and also the assigned tasks

to the Project Manager who is responsibly for that project from that time on. And i cannot change the owner of a task. only if i create a new task. It would make sense when i change the project Manager and im not a Stakeholder any more of that project that also the owner will change automatically to the new project manager. 

Best regards

Nikolaj

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...