Workspace Ports - Editing

Martyn Houghton

Martyn,

There is a very specific reason for this. You can only edit your last comment if no one has liked or responded to it, once thy have you are then locked out. The rational behind that and behind not editing posts to the general principle that you do not want people "changing past history", For example

1. YOU: Can I have a pay rise...

2. ME: How much do you think you deserve?

3. YOU: £1,000,000....

4. ME: I know you are good but that seems unreasonable...

5. YOU: I don't think so, I am sure I am worth such an amount..,not happy

6. ME: OK, let the management team review your request and see what they think, they can comment

Now you think about this and you go and edit you comment number 3 to

3. YOU: [edit] £100...

Now the management team review the comments....

7. MGR1: @ME, I think @YOU's request is very reasonable, why would you say that seems unreasonable?

You get the picture..... the essence is the same principle as e-mail, once said you cannot edit what people see. In the above case, instead of editing 3, you would post

7. YOU: You know, having thought about it you are right, I was having a bad day, perhaps £100 is far more reasonable...

For a collaboration tool to be trusted by its users, the content within it needs integrity. I do agree though that in the case of a timeline in a ticket though is somewhat different, unfortunately thats how we have thus far designed the system.

I would like to have editable capability on both comments and posts but only if we maintain versions so anyone with visibility would know there were prior edits and could look at the history of them

Does that make sense?

Gerry

Looking at this further, you can only edit your comment if your comment is the last one on the Post. However even when there are no comments on a post you are not able to edit the Post though.

I am presuming this is by design and that you are supposed to do any corrections in a subsequent comment?

Cheers

Martyn

Gerry

Thanks for the reply, for some reason my browser had not refreshed so hence my out of sequence reply.

I agree that it would be useful to have the editing capability but with versioning/auditing of the change. I know in some of other tools we use that you edits are made to the original object, i.e. post or comment, and a new comment is added at the end of the trail saying what was changed, though I could see that could be quite a technical bit of work to compare a before and after content and only report on the changes, not the whole content of the post/comment.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Yeah we have never enabled editing of posts, the intent was always for users to correct with follow-up comments. I am sure we will get to versioned editing at some point but its not on the short-term road map at the moment I am afraid.

Gerry

• 1 month later...

I think this sort of info should be added to the wiki so when you search for workspace, its clear what you can and can't do (btw I'm in favour of a editable post).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I would just like to add my support for being able to edit posts, either on workspaces or in the timelines updates on requests. Correction of spelling and grammatical errors is one simple reason, particularly on those visible to the customer. Whilst I agree it is better to get it right first time, there will always be some missed. I also agree that versioning would be necessary to record changes, something similar to how you edit posts in Facebook for example?

Thanks

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I would strongly agree with Martin - this feature has to be available?  Even if the post has a mark on it to say the post has been edited?  Further to this, it is very easy to post updates on the wrong ticket if you work with multiple tabs which we would want to avoid.

• 3 weeks later...

On SupportWorks, we had an option to Edit the Diary item and this was really important, where we had to go back and correct the contents of the email. As 99% of our update are from emails, we have to remove the Disclaimer from the bottom of the emails and if we have omitted to do this when applying the update to our Request, there is currently no way of going back to correct the update.
The same applies where the email has non-standard characters and being unable to subsequently correct this makes it difficult to read an update.

The 2nd rationale for the Edit request is due to performance issues, where we use the "Apply" option to add email updates to our request, there appears to be no response from the back end server so users end up clicking "Apply" again after waiting for 10 seconds. The end result is that the same update is then applied 2 or 3 times (please see screen shot - image uploaded) with no option for us to delete.

The 3rd reason for being able to Delete entries from the timeline is due to logos, etc. from email which get auto-added to updates.  See  https://forums.hornbill.com/index.php?/topic/8638-applying-an-email-to-request-auto-uploading-all-images-with-no-option-to-remove/#comment-39704   Every attachment we remove then gets added to the timeline and causes inflated update count on the requests and causes undue confusion, when reviewing these requests ((please see screen shot))Attachments_2.docx

Unable to Edit Comments.PNG

@cchana thanks for your reply.  We do already use that option when applying updates but my whole reply to this thread was about editing/deleting comments 'after' they had been added to the request.  My Reasons/Rationale for requesting this functionality is detailed in my post.

@sprasad that is an ongoing discussion, just wanted to let you know that there was at least something you could do before it got posted. Great if you're already using that functionality :)

• 6 months later...