Applicaiton Rights to assign/complete other users activities

Martyn Houghton

All,

A quick update; I'm pleased to inform that this enhancement is underway!

We've implemented a complete solution in the Service Manager app. This will be reviewed and considered for a Service Manager update, soon.

Just wanted to give an update on the approach here. I suggested in my previous post that this enhancement will be controlled by an Application Setting. We've decided that this enhancement should be controlled by a Role instead. You could then assign this Role to users who can complete Activities that are assigned to a user's team(s) members. I can elaborate on this through an example - 'User A' and 'User B' are members of 'Team A'. In a request, an Activity is assigned to 'User B'. If this new Role is associated to 'User A' and the request is assigned to 'Team A' (this is required), then this person can complete the Activity that belongs to 'User A'.

Thanks,

Ehsan

@Ehsan

That sounds like a positive step forward, but for our situation where we have our 1st Tier Team updating requests on behalf of the second tier teams. Members of the 1st Tier Team are not members of 2nd Tier Teams, as we are in the process of implementing auto assign to most avaiable analyst, but the 1st Tier Team is added as supporting team to the Service so that they have access to the requests. From my understanding of the what you are proposing this would not work for us.

Certainly agree it should be done as a role rather thant a settings. Perhaps there needs to be two levels of permission, one as per your current proposal and a higher one where if the analyst is a member of a supporting team for the service the activity is linked to thay have the permission to update or perhaps more simpler to implement that they get the same rigths as you do through sys admin, but just for activities to allow you to update them.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi @Martyn Houghton,

Really appreciate your input here. For sure, we had throughly discussed this scenario while considering a suitable approach but the general feeling was that, initially we will cater for - allowing members of a team that is assigned to a request, to complete a task. And in future iterations of this, we will consider other scenarios. Clearly this isn't sufficient in your case as I understand here. Let me get back to you on this. I will find some time over the weekend to think this through.

Thanks,

Ehsan

Thankfully I just found this thread as we are experiencing exactly the same issues as others with ownership of activities where requests are reassigned.

Unfortunately though - It seems I have the same issue as Martyn. Our re-assignments will often be to other teams entirely who should take over ownership of the activity. Let me give an example.

We are using activities for compliance requirements whereby anyone in any team may need to request Sarbanes Oxley approval. So we have an activity that asks "Is SOX Approval required". The request is routed to Team A initially for triage at which time the activity is auto created (in the current owners name). After review we assign to Team B who should then be able to action the activity to request SOX approval.

So... It would seem the currently suggested improvement will not satisfy Martyn or our needs.

Thanks

Keith

@Martyn Houghton, @Keith, All,

I've incorporated the ability for member(s) of a Service's supporting team(s) to complete a task. I hope this caters for the scenario that you had kindly brought to my attention. I've re-submitted this for review.

I would like to summarise this enhancement for clarity. There will be a new Role under the Service Manager app, which grants the right to a user who is not assignee of a task to complete the task. This only applies to tasks in requests. If a request is associated to a Service, then member(s) of the Service's supporting team(s) can complete tasks against the request. If a request is not associated to a Service but is assigned to a team, then member(s) of the team that the request is assigned to, can complete tasks against the request. In either case, a task will be re-assigned to the person who is performing the action and thereafter completed.

Thanks,
Ehsan

@ehsan

In our case all the requests are assigned to a Service, just that Service has many supporting teams and the owner of the task will not necessarily be in the same team as the owner, but a member of one of the other supporting teams. Therefore based on the logic ' If a request is associated to a Service, then member(s) of the Service's supporting team(s) can complete tasks against the reques' shoudl work for us.

Cheers

Martyn

@Ehsan

One further thought is that when the the activity is completed by another analyst other than the owner subject to the permission/logic above, will the task be assigned to the person completing it so that any time sheet entry is recorded against the analyst completing the request and more importantly it will show as being completed by the non owner analyst for audit purposed in the completed activities section?

Cheers

Martyn

Hi, @Martyn Houghton,

As mentioned above, the task will be re-assigned to the person who is performing the action (i.e. Assigned To field will be populated with the performer's detail), prior to completing. This would closely resemble - an owner opening a task, assigning it to user B and then User B opens the task and completes it.

Thanks,

Ehsan

• 1 month later...
On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:04 PM, Ehsan said:

@Martyn Houghton, @Keith, All,

I've incorporated the ability for member(s) of a Service's supporting team(s) to complete a task. I hope this caters for the scenario that you had kindly brought to my attention. I've re-submitted this for review.

I would like to summarise this enhancement for clarity. There will be a new Role under the Service Manager app, which grants the right to a user who is not assignee of a task to complete the task. This only applies to tasks in requests. If a request is associated to a Service, then member(s) of the Service's supporting team(s) can complete tasks against the request. If a request is not associated to a Service but is assigned to a team, then member(s) of the team that the request is assigned to, can complete tasks against the request. In either case, a task will be re-assigned to the person who is performing the action and thereafter completed.

Thanks,
Ehsan

Hi Guys - am I right in thinking this change will only be implemented for requests? rather than incidents, problems, known errors, and changes?

is there any scope for expanding this role, or creating new roles which apply to the above different ticket types? as this is what I need ideally.

thanks

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

@Ehsan

Has this been released as part of Service Manager build 935, as the app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter explanation in the wiki seems to differ to the definition of the support teams/team logic you describe above?

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Manager_Experimental_Features

Cheers

Martyn

Guest Ehsan

Hi @Martyn Houghton,

That's right - You can enable app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter Application Setting to benefit from this enhancement.

There are a couple of conditions to consider:

• app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter Application Setting in Service Manager app should be enabled through the Admin Tool.
  • Logged on User must be associated to one of the Full Access roles (e.g. Incident Management Full Access, Problem Management Full Access and etc.) OR Service Desk Admin role
  • In order to be able to complete an Activity that is assigned to another person, the logged on User must be a member of a Supporting Team of the Service that is associated to the request. If the request is not associated to a Service but is assigned to a team, then the logged on User must be a member of the team that the request is assigned to.

Service's Supporting Teams are respected. I hope this clarifies?

Thanks

Ehsan

@Ehsan

Thanks for clarifying the the third bullet point, which is missing from the Wiki text.

We have created copies of the standard roles in order to customise them to our specific purposes, so can you advise which specific application right is used to trigger the functionality or do we have to use the hard coded roles specifically?

I am planning to apply SM build 935 tonight.

Thanks

Martyn

@Ehsan

This doesn't appear to be working correctly. We manage the tasks be clicking the checkbox that appears when you hover over the tasks right hand side, where we then click on of the outcomes of the task. The problem is that the checkbox does not appear when hovering over another users task. Only after going into the activity and coming back out of it does the checkbox appear. Seems like a bug.

Can you look into this before I communicate to my analysts who are eagerly awaiting this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Keith

We are aware that if you are viewing someones activity that the "quick complete" check option is not available.  At the moment to complete someone's activity on behalf of them you need to open the activity.  As simple as it looks, this was excluded from this first iteration as the security controls were correctly preventing this. Being an experimental feature, we decided to make it available as it is and we will continue to improve on it over time to get it to a point where we can remove the experimental flag.

Thanks for you feedback.

Regards,

James