New Starter Process

As I am building in additional services into my Enterprise Service Desk (HR, FM, Payroll) for example I will be setting up a single starter process viat the portal.

So the manager of the new starter will have a single form to fill in that will generate actions for IT, HR and Payroll for example.

I have a few questions around the configuration:

1:  Can you log separate Service Requests off the back of one portal request?
2:  Can you log one Service Request and then assign out individual activities?
3:  Does the portal form have the ability to 'Save & Return' as the from will now be more complex and might not be submitted in one go?
4:  Could the new starter access the portal and update with personal information before they start working at the organisation?
5:  Can you automate an email to a Service area that isnt currently using Hornbill? 

Many Thanks

Hi Adam, 

Thanks for your post.

1.) There was some investigation into the automatic creation of a request from another request within BPM.  I will have to have a look to see if this was something that we could achieve and if the logic for this would fit your scenario.

2.) You can most definitely create one Service Request and assign out individual activities.  You may also find a need to use the feature for parallel workflows so that you can have multiple activities on the go rather than using a linear approach.  You can watch a video on Parallel Processing in a Workflow here

3.) Currently there is no option to Save and Return as part of a progressive capture form.

4.) You could have the updating of the information by the new starter as part of your process.  Once the user has been added to Hornbill and given access to the Service Portal, the next step in your process could be to email the customer with a request to login and update their details.

5.) One of the options in the BPM Email Notification is the option for External Address where you could either email an individual or you could send to a distribution group set up on your email server.

Let me know if you would like more detail in any of the above areas.

Regards,

James

• 6 months later...

Hi James

Just picking up on this again as I now have multiple services using Hornbill that will all feed into one request.

So as before a new starter will generate work/activities for the IT service, HR service and FM service.

What is the current best practice approach, should I create one service request and assign individual activities to services or use the BPM to simply assign separate Requests which are automatically linked.  For some reason I am learning towards separate service requests.

Thanks

Adam

Hi @Adam Haylock

There are many ways that this could be done, and possibly best practice for one person might not work for the next. I've listed 3 options below of which you may have already considered.  The first option would most likely be my personal choice as having the visibility of the request from start to finish has a lot of benefits.  However, it may not fit with how some organisations are structured. 

Option 1:  Provides the best visibility and ease of management by maintaining the process in a single request.  

1. Have a Service Category for HR Services
  2. Have a Service for Joiners, Movers, and Leavers
  3. Have the HR, IT, and Facilities teams all support this service
  4. Create Request Catalog Items for the different types of requests that can be made of which all three teams would be involved. (starters, movers, leavers, temps, extended leave, etc)
  5. Have the different managers subscribed as users that can make requests on this service using the Portal
  6. Assignments, activities, and progress can been seen by all involved and managed within a single service request. The manager who made the request would have good visibility of the progress of the entire request from the Portal

Option 2: IT and Facility can participate without supporting the service and removes addition request management needed by IT and Facilities

3. Only have HR support this service
  4. Have the different managers subscribed as users that can make requests on this service using the Portal
  5. IT and Facilities requirements are managed using activities.

Option 3: IT and Facilities providing services to HR when a more detailed workflow is required to supply equipment

3. Only have HR support this service
  4. Have the different managers subscribed as users that can make requests on this service using the Portal
  5. IT and Facilities would provide their own services for providing equipment
  6. The HR department would be subscribed to the IT and Facilities services
  7. The HR department could then make requests to IT and Facilities as linked requests to the original service request as part of their process.

I hope this helps or inspires some ideas.  Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

James

It does help thank you very much.  Lots to consider

I did some testing yesterday and got on pretty well by creating a single request for the FM team and then automatically added members of the HR team and assigned them activities.  I've tested it and it works.  The customer experience is amazing, easy to submit and they receive a single record.  The only downside I can think of is reporting/metrics in that the request is owned by the FM team but I can live with that.

Thanks again!

That's great news Adam that things are progressing with your New Starter process.  We do have a lot of great ideas around different ways to provide reporting so hopefully before too long you will start to see more options that may provide some of the reports that you are looking for.

Kind regards,

James