Portal Home Page Image size

Martyn Houghton

Is there a way to shrink the size of the home page image on the Service/Customer Portal or to remove it once the user has logged in?

Since going live a month ago the feedback we have had from our customers is that they have to scroll down to see their service icons due to the amount of screen taken up by the home image.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I have asked a similar question here: 

It's definitely better to have it as it's own topic. I agree that we should have some control over the size of the image or even remove it entirely... but I guess it would affect the bulletins in some way?

Thanks,

Samuel

Thanks for your feedback.  The size of this area was done in a way to accommodate the bulletins as Samuel mentions.  We were also trying to look for themes that were common to consumers.  For example support.apple.com  or support.microsoft.com. Possibly a reduction in size of both the main image and even the size of the service icons may provide just that bit more information on a single screen without scrolling.

• Like 1

If we could alter the grid size ourselves horizontally and vertically that would auto resize the icons / text wrapping that would be a great feature alongside some form of improvement to the image.

• 6 months later...

This is also constantly mentioned here. The main issues with the portal are:

1. Main image size - It takes up way too much of the screen

2. Icon size - Only three icons per row is very limiting

3. Icon Size 2 - Only allowing 6 icons before showing "more services" results in users not noticing the "more Services button and raising issues against the wrong service.

4. Icon Ordering - Only listing these alphabetically often means that the more common services are towards the bottom i.e. User Access, which in turn again results in users using the wrong service.

• Like 3

@James Ainsworth

Now we have seen that the Main image size is also used to display the Bulletins as well as the welcome text, perhaps one option is to have it similar to the Heads Up Display, in that there is the summary thin version and the more detailed version of the size it is now, which the user can select their preferred view?

Cheers

Martyn

• 2 months later...

Is there any update on this topic? One of our most frustrating complaints is that users "miss" services because they don't notice the More Services button after the first six services. Can't we just have an option to define the default number of services to display. Six is way too limiting.

The outcome of this is that we get many issues raised under the wrong service as they can't see the one they should be using.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi @HGrigsby

We have now started our initial development on this.  Our first area we are looking  at is providing multiple size options for the Service icons.  We are also looking at the number of icons displayed to possibly be more dynamic so that on larger screens, more icons can show.  It is still very early in the development to know how long it will take and what we will be able to achieve.  I'll post back once I have some more information.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update this post with information about our latest release.  As of Service Manager build 1189, there are now options to control the size of the service icons, the number of icons available per page, and which information is displayed along side each service icon.  This will cover some of the requirements discussed above.  Requirements that were not included will be considered in future releases.

Please see the following post for more information.

Regards,

James