Email routing request

Dan Munns

Hi all,

When setting which service to use for app.email.routing.rules.default.service.IN would there be the possibility of allowing the selection of a catalog item rather than a service as this would allow much greater flexibility.

Selection such as Service Name : Catalog Item name much in the same way as categories are drilled into.

And in the email rules creation page allow the selection of a BPM to be used after the Operation selection. So if the operation selected is log/update service request allow the selection of a BPM to log the service request to.

I know you have email functionality in the roadmap just wanted to throw some ideas in for changes we would like to see for us to be able to utilise emails better.

Thanks 

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post. We have a change that is currently in our development queue that will allow for more options when a request is automatically raised using the routing rules.  The selection of a Request Catalog Item is part of this.  The work on this is likely to start in the next couple of weeks.

Regards, 

James

• 2 months later...

@James Ainsworth Any update on progress on this functionality. I am now trying to configure routing rules for automated emails and bumping into a number of issues.

Having only one default service is hugely limiting. We need to be able to send in automated emails which could be assigned to different services and teams. Such settings need to be at the rule level and not a global default.

Regards

Keith

It will allow for both service and request catalog items to be allocated to a request that is processed by the Email Routing Rules.  Email Processing will be a new section under Service Manager in Administration where rules for applying different aspects of a new request will be configurable.

Regards,

James

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @James Ainsworth,

Loving the change so far. Just one tiny little change I would like to see.

Would it be possible to add a fourth visibility option when you are updating a catalog item?

At the moment you can set it to Portals .. Service Desk .. Both

Can we have 'Emails' added to it so that items made for email templates don't show anywhere else?

Some of our email alerts require actions but the issue will only ever be able to be logged via email so having the item on the service desk may cause confusion and lead to tickets being raised incorrectly

Thanks

Dan

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Love this, however I got the below error!

Is the idea behind linking it to a catalog item so  you can also use the BPM to update the category etch?

This is great but I agree you want a catalog item just for email as otherwise it is seen on the portal or in service manager.

Or just have the ability to complete the request with a category and assign to individual if required.

Thanks

Error.PNG

So I use it for our IT Security alerts.

Email from Solarwinds is logged by the auto responder and is processed through the IT Security - Email Alerts BPM.

The BPM will assign a category (based on the subject line), assign to a team and assign a priority and generate tasks based on what the alert is.

I have never had an error with it though.

I do love it and it makes sorting out emails so much easier.

Just waiting for them to add the 'Email Template' catalog visibility and I will be totally happy

Hi Dan,

It's great to see the conversations here and good to hear that this new feature is helpful.  Dan, from your posts I can understand what you are trying to achieve.  Can I ask if the reason for setting of the Request Catalog Item in the Routing Rule Template is just for associating a particular BPM?  Or do you have other reasons for setting the Request Catalog Item?

Regards,

James

Hi Adam,

Sorry to see the error that you are experiencing with this new feature.  It seems to directed to the initiating of the BPM.  Could you check the BPM settings for the Service that these requests are being raised against and confirm that the associated BPM is active?

Regards,

James

@Adam Haylock the error you got is not related to the new Routing Template functionality. It is actually caused by a platform issue whereby the autoresponder doesn't get along very well with async BP spawn. It's been discussed before (here: https://forums.hornbill.com/topic/9735-email-routing-bpm/ and here: https://forums.hornbill.com/topic/9770-email-rules/).

We have a fix for this which is included in the next platform update scheduled for tonight.

Hi @James Ainsworth,

Basically I am going to have BPMs for Security alerts, Infrastructure alerts and potentially Dev Team and Service Desk alerts and they will be assigned to catalog items.

I don't want these items to be visible to the analysts or users as they are just BPMs for logging alert emails from various systems.

As in the new email system we are unable to select a BPM and it has to be a service and catalog item (which is fine) it would be useful to be able to hide the email only items from the analysts to stop the items list getting huge.

Or allowing the selection of a BPM or calalog item (where by if one is blank it uses the other) would also be good.

Either way it is 100% better than what was before so just a small niggle in an otherwise great update.

Thanks Dan.  For the feedback on the update and great to hear that you are liking the improvements. 

I can see exactly what you are trying to achieve.  I was also considering an option on the Routing Rule Templates to allow a BPM to be selected.  This would provide another way of associating a BPM to a request raised by the Routing Rules without having to specify a Request Catalog Item.  If you are needing to associate the Request Catalog Items for other reasons, I can see the benefit of hiding those Request Catalog Items that are only used for email.

Regards,

James

@James Ainsworth

That would be great if the routing rules could simply select a BPM

I have mine all setup using a Request Catalog and therefore BPM but I cannot get it to kick the BPM in.  So it wont assign to an analyst or set the category.

Any ideas?

I have also noticed that the request comes in with the 'source' as blank

Thanks