Slideshow timeout?

Lyonel

Hi guys, anybody came across an error message after displaying a slideshow for a while on a screen? We have a big TV in our office where we display a slideshow. It is configured to change slide every 5 minutes and refresh the data on widgets every 5 minutes. But after a certain period of time, we get error messages saying it cannot connect to the server, like if it timed out?

Hi All

Next time this happens can you provide an exact date / time of the error, if possible a screen grab of the error and we can take a look at the logs and try and find out why these logins are timing out. 

Kind Regards

Trevor Killick

Hi Trevor,

It seems to have something to do with the amount of sessions 1 account can have active. I logged in on our wallboard system, my own system then logged out. When I logged in on my own system the wallboard system got logged out. This was working normally last week.

I've attached a screenshot. Unfortunately I do not have the time when this occured.

Mark

Knipsel.JPG

@Lyonel @m.vandun

We were having this, so I presumed that when I logged out using the option rather than just closing the browser tab, from Hornbill on any device, that would kill all my connections irrespective of which machine my sessions are associated with.

As we use SAML I created a separate user and the set the home page on my machine running the dashboard to bypass saml and use a dedicated separate account, which seems to be a lot more reliable. Does use a license though!

Cheers

Martyn

@m.vandun

In your case, your instance was configured with allowMultiLogin disabled, this means if you log in as you a second time it will automatically kick any open sessions on your account. We have disabled this option for you so that should not happen any more. 

Gerry

@Lyonel

Not sure why you are getting these timeouts, as a general rule things work better if the wallboards use a dedicated account. However, if multoLogon is disabled (this is a system setting you can change in the admin tool) then a user logging in using the same account will kill other sessions for that account. This is off by default. 

However, on some instances we have had to turn this on because a bad integration implementation (customer developed) was logging in, querying some data and not logging out, and that was happening once a second so the instance was slowing down as 10's of thousands of sessions were being created and not destroyed.  We advised to not use the userLogon/userLogOff API's for integration a) because its very bad practice as it leads to passwords being hard coded into scripts and b ) because it was killing all of the instances allocated resources.  The correct way to use the API's for integration is with the API keys scheme. 

So its worth checking your settings to see if multi logon is disabled, that would be a good start.  I would also recommend you use a separate user account for you dashboards, if not for reliability for the sake of security. The count should have the minimum rights needed to display the dashboard and no more. 

Gerry

@Gerry, thanks for your reply. I checked the setting you mentioned (that's a cool one by the way, I like it!). I believe everything is ok:

multilogon.png

Also, the account we use for Dashboards display on TV is unique and that is his sole purpose. No other rights but display dashboards and slideshows.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Gerry

We are seeing the disconnection error now on a daily basis from our dashboard screens running our slideshow. We are using a dedicated user account and 'multiLoginUSer' ie set to allow, though as we are using a dedicated user this should not apply.

It seems to occur around 8 to 9 hours after I go in close the browser and re-open it and log back in again, starting up the slideshow again. I have tested this in both Internet Explorer and Chrome.

Is there a session or inactivity  timeout applied elsewhere which might not be picking up that the slideshow activity?

dashdisc.JPG

Cheers

Martyn

@Martyn Houghton

I will need to ask some of the devs some questions, as far as I am aware this should only happen when there is no inactivity.  In the case of a dashboard slideshow this will never be the case.  However, we are using Websockets for notifications and screen update events so I am wondering if it has something to do with this -I will need to investigate further.  However, we have many customers using the slideshows and most of them do not seem to be having this problem so I am not sure how easy it will be to replicate, its possible environmental.

Gerry