Manage Default Categories - Scope

Martyn Houghton

• 1 month later...

@Daniel Dekel

Thanks. The issue is that there is no inheritance of these downwards in the organisation structure, similar to the issue with service subscriptions. In a large organisation having to set this to every team directly, rather than to a higher parent container means this is quite admin intensive. It would be good to have the ability to cascade the assignment.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi @Martyn Houghton,

This is the way it used to work at the beginning actually. Assigning an organisation would share also with the children of it like teams. The issue was that this is not the way it works in all the rest of the places like Service Manager or Activities and that was confusing people.

I will have a chat about this with the other teams after new year and see what can we do.

Changing owner, yes, it makes sense. I'll add this to the list.

Thanks,

Daniel.

• 3 weeks later...

@Daniel Dekel

We seem to be having some issue in allocating categories to some Groups. All the groups are set to Team and are visible in the drop down when selecting the group I want but they do not get added to the members list. 

cat1.JPG

Click OK, but it does not appear in the members list.

cat2.JPG

I know early on in Service Manager we had an issue with subscriptions where the field recording the subscription was not long enough to hold out organisation structure names, so wondering if this could be related?

Cheers

Martyn

@Daniel Dekel

I spoke too soon. I have assigned individuals to the 'Service Desk' categories so they can see it but they do not inherit the default categories. Which means the time keeping plug in shows as brown/orange as there is now default value set.

Is there away to set the default value on bulk or even as an administrator? Or does every individual now have to set there own via 'Manage Default Categories'?

Cheers

Martyn

Hi @Martyn Houghton,

Also assigning individual users should inherit the default categories. I have a test doing this and it works.

Can you make sure that you have also assigned the sub-categories to these users?

I have done the fix and will probably release soon the fix (today)

This way it will be much easier to manage it all.

Thanks,

Daniel.

@Daniel Dekel

Have applied version 1.0.0 - 50 and are now able to add my groups which have the long/deep names.

Had not realised there was assignment on the sub categories as well. It would be good to have the option to duplicate/inherit them from parent as well.

I retest once I done the sub category assignments.

Cheers

Martyn

@Daniel Dekel

Also looks like you can add a user, role or group which does not have access to parent as a member of the sub category. Should not membership of a sub category require you to be a member of parent? 

Can I just allocation membership to a sub category and ignore the parent category membership?

Cheers

Martyn

@Daniel Dekel

I think it would still be good to have the facility to allocate a parent category and restrict certain sub categories beneath it. Take for example we have a Service Desk Category, with different sub categorise for different actions/activities. There may be some sub categories which only apply the the Team/Service Desk Manager, Complaints Handling etc, but you would still want to be under the parent Service Desk Category for account/reporting purposes.

I think the inherit by default and restrict by exception would mean for those who do not want/need to go down to that level can ignore it and those of us who do can apply permission in that way.

Cheers

Martyn