Restart BPM Error

Dan Munns

Hi all,

We are (finally) on last stage testing before our go live on Monday and one of the analysts found a way to break the new starters process (mainly because I had missed an email address out of the node)

Anyway, I fixed the BPM and tried to restart but got the attached error. The mailbox referenced in my user ID mailbox (which we don't have in Service Manager)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Hi @Victor,

I have emailed the requested BPM to you.

@Gerry, both of our mailboxes have addresses setup. Our mailboxes are called Helpdesk (legacy) and Service Desk (new). The mailbox the error is referring to mine (userID) but we are unable to have user ID mailboxes like we could in Supportworks (I have asked for the functionality on another thread)

Thanks

Dan

@Dan Munns

According to the error message, the BPM is trying to send from a mailbox called 'munnsd' and given the error message says that it does not have a valid address I assumed that the specified mailbox exists and that its not correctly configured.   That was my thinking anyway, but I guess there is more to it.  I am sure @Victor will be able to give you more insight once he has seen the BPM 

Gerry

@Victor FYI: I have similar behaviour - I can restart the process OK, but I do get an error saying I can't send from my email address - I've never had my email set up as a mailbox in Service Manager.
Off the top of my head, it seems like it's picking up the "From" address from the user, rather than the system.

@Dan Munns @DeadMeatGF right, so, I found out why you getting the message about being unable to send from a "personal" mailbox... The API call used to send email messages needs the mailbox ID as an input parameter (sorry for the technicalities). If (for any reason) this is not present, the API will use the user personal mailbox (take from the user ID stored in the session variable). This is how is designed.

Next step is to find out why the mailbox ID (the shared mailbox one) was not there when the send message API was invoked.... 

@Dan Munns what shared mailboxes (how many and what name they have) you have configured in your instance?

@Dan Munns first, the BP restart will not work if the correction is done "inside" the BP... so for example, you correcting the contact to another one would not work for "BP restarting" purposes. However if the issue occurred because the contact did not have an email address, if you configure one for the contact (outside the BP) then the BP restart would work. I hope this gives a (rough) idea on what works and what doesn't on BP restart...

Now the issue is, in your scenario that the "notifyEmailContact" action/flowcode fails (because there is no contact ID). It fails when tries to retrieve contact information and the whole "notifyEmailContact" flowcode stops at this point. 
However, for some reason, the send email API does trigger !! .. This is what I need to understand and see why...I don't see what triggers the send email if the flowcode stops after trying to get contact info... :(  For this I need one of the platform devs to help me as I can't see the code for platform myself (restart process is platform code).

@Victor ok so if the BP fails due to an incorrect name (for example set priority as P1 but there is no P1 priority. I then go and make a P1) it will restart.

If I have to make any changes to the BPM itself it will be unrecoverable.

Have I got the right end of the stick with that?

It would be better if it just failed the email part and carried on and created the task as the task is more important than the notification if you see what I mean?

I hope I have explained that better than I think :)

Dan

@Dan Munns yes, you have the same understanding of BP restart as I do :)

And indeed I agree with you that all BP errors should be "excepted" so the BP does not "break". For this I/we always advise dev to try and wrap any possible error in exceptions so they won't cause this. However this is an ongoing exercise and it has a slightly lower priority as most of this type of errors are caused by an incorrect configuration (which does not mean we should not cater for them) 

I'm still looking to see why the sendMessage API was invoked.... :(

@Dan Munns @DeadMeatGF success!! :)

So, when you press the BP restart button, the code in the UI (not a flowcode, this is why I could not see it there) will invoke the BP restart + send a message about the restart outcome. The send message action will use as parameters the following:
- for the mailbox that is sending the message, the value from webapp.view.usersPreferredMailbox (Home -> Collaboration -> Application Settings). If no value here, the send message action will try and use the personal mailbox;
- for the message recipient, the value from app.email.restartBPM.feedback (Home -> Service Manager -> Application Setting).

So, if you configure the mailbox setting, you should no longer experience "unable to send..." error ;)

EDIT: I need to say thanks to my colleague @DanielRi who pointed me into the right direction about the mailbox setting :)

Hi @Victor

Is there the ability to grant some (or all) users the ability to create a personal mailbox?

In Supportworks we all had personal mailboxes which we could reply as from the shared mailboxes or use as normal mailboxes

Some of our analysts receive email to a shared mailbox (added to Service Manager) but their personal mailbox addresses are on an approvers list.

We are unable to add the shared mailbox to the approvers list (as more than the approvers have access) but they keep having to switch between SM and Outlook to find emails to respond to and then go back and update tickets which is a pain and can take a while as some of these mailboxes send 20 - 30 mails per day to be approved / have tickets raised.

Hope that makes sense as it is Friday afternoon and it has been one of 'those' weeks.

Thanks

Dan

@Dan Munns from what I have seen (and remember, personal mailboxes are still in beta stage) once the setting is enabled, a (personal) mailbox is automatically created for each user. However, if and how it works I must admit I do not know as I did not have a chance to play with this... Best chance to get more info on this is to post your query on our collaboration section of the forum so the devs can advise: https://forums.hornbill.com/forum/119-collaboration/